Using the BIM360 integration you can import your Revit models directly into Arkio from BIM360 without having to open Revit on a PC, load a project, and export it to Arkio. This way you can always access your team's latest Revit models from any device such as the Oculus Quest, tablet, or phone to plan a quick virtual meeting and to explore new ideas that can be exported back easily to Revit.
If you are interested in getting access to the Arkio BIM360 integration please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you set up.
Once you have the integration installed following the mail instructions you can log in to your Autodesk BIM360 account on the Arkio BIM360 portal. You will be asked for permission to read and write files on your BIM360 account (we will not edit any of your BIM360 files, only export/import models with your consent).
Once logged in you can link your BIM360 Account to Arkio using the top right "Link to Arkio" button. This will open a dialog with a 6 digit authorization code that can be used to connect both apps. This code can be filled in on any of the devices that you have Arkio running on by going to the Create/Import/BIM360 tab on the expanded create drawer or in the models viewer.
Once Arkio and BIM360 are linked you will see any available models that have been exported from BIM360 and can then proceed to download them to Arkio and place them in the scene.
You can view the active jobs you have exported that day using the "Export Status" button on the BIM360 portal. This will show all the export jobs you have activated in the last 24 hours and some statistics for the status and time the jobs took to completed. Please note that exported files will remain available for 24 hours, after that they will need to be exported again.
Exporting from BIM360 to Arkio
Once Arkio has been linked to BIM360 you can export models from the BIM360 portal by selecting a Revit project from the project browser on the left side of the page and clicking on the green Arkio icon (2) in the bottom right corner of your viewer.
When you make an export from BIM360 the model will be searched for a 3D view called "Arkio" (with or without capitals) if this view is found in the project that 3D view with the saved visibility of categories, view-settings, and section box will be used to make the default export to Arkio. If no view with that name is found a default 3D view of the project will be used instead with all Revit categories and objects visible.
If you are working on large Revit BIM360 projects we recommend preparing this "Arkio" 3D view in your model with appropriate view settings, furniture, entourage, and railing categories hidden, and a section box around the part of the building you like to export so your models will be more suitable for loading in VR and on mobile devices.
Once in Arkio, you can see what jobs are being processed (this could take a while for large models) and what models are ready to be downloaded to your device. When you click on the "GET" icon that model will be downloaded from the server.
Once this model is downloaded the "GET" Icon will change to "RVT" And that model will be prepared for Arkio after which it can be placed and updated like a regular Revit model on your table.
Arkio to RVT using BIM360
You can also export your Arkio models back to BIM360 once Arkio is linked to your BIM360 account. This is useful when you don't have access to Revit or the original project but would still like to provide the team with a Revit file with all the geometry you created in Arkio, or id you would like to export several design options at once to link and compare into your worksharing projects.
To set up the default folder for your Arkio export you can log in to the Arkio BIM360 portal and select the desired project folder on the left side of the page. With the preferred folder selected you can click on the top "Set to currently selected" button.
When you export a model from Arkio to BIM360 it will appear with the name "Arkio_..." placed in the selected export folder on BIM360. It's currently only possible to convert Arkio creations to Revit files with Generic Models using this approach as we plan to add other export settings later.
- Models exported from BIM360 to Arkio will be cleared on the server after 24 hours (local imports will remain in Arkio).
- All categories, worksets, and visible 3D elements will be exported unless you define a view in Revit named "Arkio" and save the needed visibility settings there.
- If a model is not in Revit 2021, 2020 or 2019, it may need to be updated during the export process, which may result in longer than expected export times.
- Custom (Non-Autodesk) textures will not be included in the export
- Working on your iPad you can open the latest Revit model from your team to walk around in the model while making some sketches and volumetric suggestions on the model and export those back to a Revit file that you could hand to the team.
- Using the Quest you log into the BIM360 portal using the web browser and export the latest version of the Revit model to update in your scene. You can invite others to join you for a collaborative tour around the model.
- Export several design options created in Arkio. Then use BIM360 services to switch between versions, and compare, track or overlay these files for coordination issues in tools like BIM360 Glue.
- Export and download several Arkio Revit project to load them back into your worksharing project to compare temporary design references or the linked file can be bound to continue working with the families and geometry.