The mobile and the desktop non-VR versions of Arkio have a similar UI with the main difference being using touch controls vs mouse controls.
When you start Arkio in Windows/iOS/Android the UI will be minimized to simplify working with the app as a spectator. When in spectator mode you can join a meeting (multi-user), put the model on a table in Augmented Reality and make notes on the model using sketches.
Navigation tools are located in the bottom-left and bottom-right corners. The default tool when starting the app is the orbit tool in the bottom-left corner.
To join a meeting, just tap on the meeting icon in the toolbar, type in the company ID and meeting name you've been provided with and select to connect. You can do the same to initiate a new meeting from your device.
The tool menu at the top of the screen can be expanded using the arrow button to reveal additional modeling tools and enter edit mode. In edit mode, undo/redo buttons can be found in the top-left corner.
Panning, zooming and orbiting
Panning and zooming in Arkio can be done using your scroll wheel on a mouse or using a two-finger pinch gesture anywhere on the model.
When the orbit tool is selected in the bottom-left corner you can orbit around the model by touching/clicking anywhere on the screen and dragging the model around. If the orbit tool is not selected you can also orbit around the model by tapping/clicking anywhere outside the model and the green worktable and dragging your finger or mouse.
Mobile touch controls
- Use two-finger gestures to pan and zoom
- Select orbit tool in bottom-left corner and touch anywhere on the screen to orbit
- Touch and drag anywhere on the sky, the ground below the worktable or the bottom of the worktable to orbit the camera if an editing tool is selected
- Middle mouse scroll to zoom in and out or pan (press)
- Right-click anywhere on the screen to orbit around the model
In the bottom left and right corners you'll find two navigation pads, the left one moves the camera as if walking when in human scale and the right navigation pad rotates the camera around. On a PC you can also use your arrow keys on the keyboard to walk around and your right mouse button to look around
Tools are activated in Arkio by clicking on the top toolbar buttons, the active tool will be highlighted and additional tool options may be shown on the right side of your screen. This right menu can sometimes be expanded for more options like selecting other colors or shapes/assets to create.
Tools like Create or Sketch require a drag motion while others like Paint require just a single tap or click. The below example shows sketching on the model using the Sketch tool.
Some tools like the Create, Edit or Move work in three dimensions requiring toggling between working in a primary or secondary axis. While creating, moving or editing shapes you can briefly tap a second finger on your screen while still holding the first finger down to switch between axes.
Mobile touch controls
- Tap anywhere on the model to start using a tool and drag to your final position
- Tap anywhere on the screen with a 2nd finger to toggle the axis for the tool
- Left-click anywhere on the model to start using a tool and drag to your final position
- Briefly press the space bar or click on the right mouse button to change the active axis for the tool